Monday, August 31, 2009


Joe's Biscotti Recipe is part of an exhibition, Brooklyn Utopias, which will run from October 2, 2009 - January 3, 2010 at the Brooklyn Historical Society.

Joe's Biscotti Recipe is offered as an active and dispersed monument to my father. Recipe cards with my father's prized biscotti recipe are available at the exhibition. He took great pride in cooking for his friends and family. It connected him to his Italian heritage and allowed him to express his love for those around him. This August 2009 marked the five year anniversary of my father's passing.

In addition to being an offering, I would like Joe's Biscotti Recipe to also act as a catalyst for the reciprocal exchange of meaningful recipes. If you have a recipe that connects you to people and/or places that are no longer with you physically, I'd love to host it on this site.

As the online collection of recipes grows, the site will serve to give form to the recipes and people that connect us to our social histories. Keeping these recipes and cultures alive today tactically ensures that they will be a part of our futures.


Email me your recipes, stories, photos, and scans and let me know if it is okay to post them: acurrerib@gmail.com. Visit the exhibition for actual recipe cards.


A print version of the online cookbook will be produced in January 2010 with the closing of the exhibition. All contributors will receive a copy.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, What a great idea! I know how good Uncle Joe's biscottis are, and it inspires me to try them, even though I don't bake well! I'll be thinking of a recipe to contribute, even though Joe's Biscottis are a hard recipe to follow! Can't wait for the exhibition. Love, Suzanne, Steve, Brittany, and Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow amanda.. what a tribute!!! i do not think there anyone who knew your dad that did not LOOOOOVE his biscottis.. i remember specifically the 1st time i tried one (thanksgiving - 2003).. trust me when i tell you i did not eat just one.. no one did.. they were all gone before dinner!!!

    i will absolutely be contributing one of my brother chris' favorite recipes.. thanks so much for creating such a fantastic way to remember our loved ones who are no longer with us.. inspiring!!!

    xo, kerri curreri

    ReplyDelete