Thursday, October 8, 2009

BACHFLUME KUCHEN (Prune Cake)
From Pam Rodgers (Washington, DC)

So here is my recipe- it is my Grandmother's Bachflume Kuchen (Prune Cake). It was a recipe she knew from her mother in Germany. When we would stay with her she would make the cake at night and she would always let my sisters and I have the leftovers for Breakfast the next morning. This cake is what I have associated with not only my family roots but also with my Grandmother. She was a fairly rigid woman in many ways and yet she would always let us eat cake for breakfast. Every time I take a bite of this cake, I smile as I remember her.

3 eggs beaten 1 tsp nutmeg 1 cup prunes- cooked and diced
1 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil 1 tsp allspice
1tsp. salt 1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk 2 cups flour
1tsp baking soda 1 cup nuts

Mix eggs, oil, sugar, spices and flour alternately with buttermilk. Add nuts and prunes last. Bake in a prepared ( greased and floured) 9 x 13 baking dish

Frosting: 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 stick of butter, 1 TBL white corn syrup- Mix and boil all ingredients for 2 minutes.Stir until it quites bubbling and then pour over warm cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment