Tuesday, November 17, 2009

GLUGG RECIPE
From Cybele Lyle (San Francisco, CA)

When I was growing up, my parents used to drink Glugg around Christmas time in the evenings. They picked up the tradition when they lived in Copenhagen for a year around the time they got married. As kids, my brother and I only got to have a taste. It's a hot drink made with wine, vodka and various other things (as seen in the recipe). We had many traditions around Christmas, but for some reason I was always particularly attached to this one. After my dad died, I insisted every year on making Glugg with my mom to hold onto those memories and to the traditions of our family. We continue to make it pretty much every year, but somehow it's meaning for me is all about the past. It brings up some of my fondest memories of my family as a unit and it also taps into my romanticization of my parents life in Copenhagen… In looking at the recipe closer there are definitely some things we do differently... no simmering the wine, for example. And my mom also puts prunes in it... and maybe dried cranberries instead of raisins... anyway, this is pretty much it.

20 cardamon
25 cloves
2-3 sticks cinnamon
Peel of one orange in large pieces
2 bottles cl??*
2 bottles port
½ lb. blanched almonds
½ lb. seedless raisins (or dried cranberries)
1 pt. brandy

Put spices and orange peel in a cheesecloth bundle.
Simmer 15 minutes with 1 bottle of wine, almonds, raisins or other dried fruits. Add remaining wine, brandy, etc and heat.

*I can't figure out what the "cl" word is. From what I remember, it's actually 1 bottle of red wine, 1 bottle of port, 1 pt brandy and 1 pt vodka.


Instant Spiced Tea**
1 ¾ c. Tang
1 ¼ c. sugar
1 c. Inst tea
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ground cloves
(Use 2 tsp. instant spiced tea mix per cup of liquid)

**The Instant Spiced Tea recipe is totally unrelated to the Glugg recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, that "cl" word is without a doubt "claret." Of course any dry red wine will do, I simply could not stop myself, my handwriting is quite similar to that on the notecard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, mystery solved.
    Thanks, Gwendolyn/Jaclin.
    :)

    ReplyDelete